A monthly subscription to the Blinkplan system costs $29 per month. Weekly magazines can opt for a package deal ($55 per month) that stores 12 maps at a time, the company says. A pair of magazine and software design professionals are targeting magazine publishers with their new program, Blinkplan, which they say offers the most convenient way to draw up flatplans—the diagram, or map, that shows where articles and advertisements are laid out.Launched this fall, Blinkplan was created by South Africa-based software designer Joerg Diekmann and former magazine managing editor Kerry Rogers. The system, which is accessed at the Blinkplan Web site, automatically gives a running subtotal of how many ads, editorial pages, advertorials are in a given issue. The system can create PDFs and re-flows pages when a spread is moved. Up to three maps can be worked on at the same time.Diekmann and Rogers spent about a year-and-a-half in testing phases before working with their first magazine client: the South African edition of Cosmopolitan. “They used it for about six months until the product evolved into what it is now,” Diekmann tells FOLIO:.After working with the magazine, Diekmann and Rogers discovered that Blinkplan’s process reduces the time to produce a map (using conventional spreadsheet, design package and all-inclusive systems) by half. “We definitely want to get more glossies on board like Cosmopolitan, but we think Blinkplan is also right for smaller trade magazines, contract magazines, and other business-to-business type magazines,” Diekmann says. “There are so many magazines that cannot afford bigger, and more fully featured systems.”
The increase is set to take effect in April, though a 4.3 percent exigency surcharge will expire a few weeks after that. “[This] is good news in general for publishers,” says David LeDuc, senior director of public policy for the SIIA. “But a publisher should not assume [1.34 percent] will be their increase. No one is yet able to determine the true effect by running the mail list using the old rates and new rates with the new rules. A back-of-the-envelop calculation results in a 9-percent increase for a light publication with low advertising and a national distribution with 25,000 copies. Of course, other periodicals will fare better in some circumstances.” Publishers got a shock when the USPS announced a rate hike for periodicals of close to 2 percent last month, but it turns out the blow won’t be that bad. A calculation error discovered by the Postal Regulatory Commission last week, and acknowledged by the USPS on Wednesday, means the average increase for periodical delivery will be 1.34 percent, instead of the 1.965 percent originally announced. Dead Tree Edition first reported the finding. “The Postal Service’s intention was to increase Periodicals prices by 1.965 percent,” the statement reads. “[However,] the prices noticed in the January 2015 filing unintentionally reflect a percent price increase for Periodicals that is below the goal of 1.965 percent.”
More From Roadshow 2020 Volvo XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered first drive: Almost Super Trouper 2021 Polestar 2 is Sweden’s sleek Tesla rival Volvo Share your voice “Naturally, our questions are anyway in a different realm, because with electric cars, you do not discuss high speed anymore that much. That is much more an element of the combustion-engine world. Even with Tesla, [you] have to look up the top speed. For us, it would be silly to announce it [limiting top speed], because really, it’s not a question that’s relevant to us as a brand.”Because of the way electric motors deliver power, with maximum torque output coming from zero rpm, the most sensational aspect of electric vehicle performance tends to be standing-start acceleration, like 0-to-60-mph tests. Top speeds aren’t discussed as often, in part because most EVs have single-speed transmissions that result in comparatively unspectacular velocities. Volvo has built its reputation on safety, and the company is doubling-down on that with the top-speed announcement, as well as revealing that it plans to research automatically limiting top speed in areas around schools and hospitals. While Polestar models will share much of Volvo’s safety knowhow, it will evidently not seek to wear that reputation on its sleeve. According to Ingenlath, Polestar is “a bit more expressive, a bit more daring, it’s a bit more, indeed, exclusive. Some people will like it, some people will not, and it is more driver-oriented.” 1:31 Now playing: Watch this: 50 Photos Electric Cars Volvo made waves on Monday when it announced that beginning next year, it will start phasing in a 112-mile-per-hour top speed on all of its vehicles. At the time, the Swedish automaker’s new electrified premium brand, Polestar, remained quiet on whether it plans to adopt the same policy. It will not.On Tuesday here at the Geneva Motor Show, I sat down with Polestar CEO Thomas Ingenlath after the debut of his company’s new Polestar 2 EV. He revealed, “We obviously will not do that, and that is a nice brand differentiator [from Volvo].” He continued, “we have not the wish within Polestar to actually dictate to somewhat speed he or she should drive.” According to Ingenlath, not only would limiting the v-max of its vehicles to such a low speed be contrary to the brand’s high-performance image, he thinks the discussion itself is almost beside the point with electric cars. The Polestar 2 EV is gorgeous in Geneva 2020 BMW M340i review: A dash of M makes everything better 1 2020 Hyundai Palisade review: Posh enough to make Genesis jealous Tags Comment Polestar Volvo
Catholicism Hospital chaplains stick to the heart of the job amid health care industry changes Photos of the Week August 30, 2019 Jack Jenkins Jack Jenkins is a national reporter for RNS based in Washington, covering U.S. Catholics and the intersection of religion and politics.,Add Comment Click here to post a comment Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn ReddIt Email News • Photos of the Week Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn ReddIt Email Share This! Share This! News Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn ReddIt Email,(RNS) — A series of leaked emails has revived a long-simmering scandal involving defrocked Catholic Cardinal Theodore McCarrick, providing new evidence that the former archbishop of Washington, D.C., was disciplined after allegations of sexual misconduct but was nevertheless allowed to travel and work under both Pope Benedict XVI and Pope Francis.The emails appear to confirm some of the claims made last year by Archbishop Carlo Maria Viganò, a former Vatican diplomat to the U.S., but do not appear to corroborate allegations that Pope Francis was aware of the restrictions placed on McCarrick after he was accused of sleeping with seminarians.Last year, the pontiff took away McCarrick’s rank of cardinal and banned him from ministry in the wake of a separate allegation that McCarrick abused a minor decades before.This 1974 photo provided by a man who agreed to be identified only by his first name, James, shows him in California with Theodore McCarrick, a Roman Catholic priest who eventually became a cardinal. James says he was sexually abused for about two decades by McCarrick, who was removed from public ministry in June 2018 over separate child abuse allegations. (Family photo via AP)In one August 2008 message to Italian Archbishop Pietro Sambi, then the pope’s representative in the U.S., McCarrick said he was “ready to accept the Holy Father’s will in my regard.” He was referring a request from Italian Cardinal Giovanni Battista Re that McCarrick cancel his speaking engagements and move to a monastery. He contested the latter, suggesting that his sudden departure would cause “publicity,” which he said was “precisely what Cardinal Re is hoping to avoid.”The documents are the latest salvo in what at least one expert described as an internal “fight” over what happened in Washington, with a bevy of leaks, letters and reports painting an increasingly convoluted picture of who knew what, and when. It also puts additional pressure on Pope Francis, whose papacy has come under fire after the resurgence of the Catholic sex abuse scandal over the past year and a half.According to news first reported Tuesday (May 28) by the website Crux and by CBS News, Monsignor Anthony Figueiredo, a priest in Newark, N.J., who previously served as McCarrick’s secretary, revealed the letters and emails he said McCarrick wrote from 2008-2017. McCarrick served as Washington’s archbishop from 2001-2006.The correspondence provided by Figueiredo, who also served as McCarrick’s “go-between” and aide during trips to Rome for years, includes McCarrick fervently denying some of the allegations against him.“I have never had sexual relations with anyone,” McCarrick allegedly wrote in one letter to a senior Vatican official. McCarrick did, however, acknowledge that he shared his bed with seminarians, an act he called “an unfortunate lack of judgment.”“As the problems of sexual abuse began to surface, I realized this was imprudent and stupid and it stopped,” he wrote.Other 2008 emails from McCarrick to Figueiredo — which Crux reportedly confirmed originated from McCarrick’s account — include him describing how Re told the archbishop to resign from all positions in Rome or with the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, and barred him from making any public appearances without permission.In this Sept. 23, 2015, file photo, Pope Francis reaches out to hug former Cardinal Archbishop emeritus Theodore McCarrick at the Cathedral of St. Matthew the Apostle in Washington. (Jonathan Newton/The Washington Post via AP)But the documents suggest McCarrick began to defy prohibitions as time wore on, traveling to Rome (something he was also initially told not to do) on numerous occasions as well as countries around the world — particularly after the election of Pope Francis in 2013, when McCarrick traveled on behalf of the church.Francis has repeatedly denied that he knew anything about the Washington cleric’s situation before spring 2018, saying as much in a new interview published the same day as the documents.“I said it many times, I knew nothing, no idea,” Francis told Mexican journalist Valentina Alazraki.Massimo Faggioli, historian and theologian at Villanova University, said the documents do not indicate that Pope Francis was aware of the restrictions reportedly placed on McCarrick by Benedict.Faggioli said Francis’ willingness to make bold public statements regarding the scandal stands in stark contrast to other Vatican officials involved. He pointed out that Pope Benedict published a lengthy letter last month addressing the uptick in the sex abuse crisis but has not as of yet spoken out about the McCarrick incident.Archbishop Donald Wuerl of Washington, left, chats with his predecessor, Cardinal Theodore McCarrick, before an ordination Mass at Washington’s Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in 2007. RNS photo by Jay PremackThe letters appear to suggest that Cardinal Donald Wuerl, who replaced McCarrick as archbishop of Washington, was involved in implementing restrictions against McCarrick, despite initially denying to the media that he knew about the abuse charges at all. (Wuerl later backtracked, calling it a “lapse in memory.”)“What’s clear is that they are still fighting over Washington, D.C.,” Faggioli said. “The appointment of Wilton Gregory (who became archbishop of Washington earlier this month) has not put to rest the issue, because it seems to me they are still going after Cardinal Wuerl.”Meanwhile, the Vatican continues to conduct its own investigation into the matter. But Faggioli suggested that any final report from the church is unlikely to be comprehensive and that the real power to investigate likely lies with American journalists.“I would not expect the equivalent of the Mueller report on the McCarrick case,” he said. Cancel replyYou must be logged in to post a comment.,Citing inclusion of LGBT clerics, Anglican bishops in Africa to shun Lambeth Conferenc … By: Jack Jenkins jackmjenkins By: Jack Jenkins jackmjenkins By: Jack Jenkins jackmjenkins As Amazon burns, Vatican prepares for summit on region’s faith and sustainabilit … August 30, 2019 Share This! Share This! Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn ReddIt Email,About the authorView All Posts Share This! TagsCarlo Maria Viganò clergy sexual abuse homepage featured Pope Benedict Pope Francis Theodore McCarrick Top Story Vigano,You may also like Instagram apostasy stirs controversy over Christian ‘influencers’ August 30, 2019 Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn ReddIt Email Jack Jenkins jackmjenkins
The Vivien T. Thomas Medical Arts Academy is scheduled to host a back to school community festival on Sept. 3 from 5:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m at 100 North Calhoun Street in Baltimore. The event is free and open to the public and will include food and a movie. For more information, visit facebook.com/vttmaa.info.
Luke Durant has been the Mondawmin Mall Santa Claus for 34 years. Here Kashton asks Santa for a Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Ninja Megazoid. Mondawmin Mall, in the heart of West Baltimore, is one of the oldest malls in America.(Courtesy Photo)