September 11, 2019 St Thomas St Dorothys To Hold Food Drive On June 2324

St Thomas St Dorothys To Hold Food Drive On June 2324

first_imgWILMINGTON, MA — St. Thomas and St. Dorothy’s will be holding a Food Drive for the parish’s Food Pantry to help Parish members in need this weekend. Donations may be left at the entrances of both churches before all masses.Food items most needed include:Peanut Butter & JellyInstant Macaroni & CheeseCanned CornMicrowavable DinnersBeef Stew/Canned DinnersJuice Boxes/PouchesMayonnaise & CatsupPancake Mix & SyrupBody Soap & WashShampoo & ConditionerDeodorantFeminine Hygiene ProductsToothpaste & Dental FlossBody Lotion(NOTE: The above announcement is from the latest St. Thomas/St. Dorothy’s church bulletin.)Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email wilmingtonapple@gmail.com.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedSt. Thomas & St. Dorothy’s To Hold Food Drive On July 13-14In “Community”St. Thomas & St. Dorothy’s Holding Food Drive & Cleaning Product Drive On October 14-15In “Community”5 Things To Do In Wilmington On Sunday, July 14, 2019In “5 Things To Do Today”last_img read more

Read more
September 5, 2019

Indianorigin family of 4 found dead in US locals suspect murdersuicide

first_img(representative image)Creative Commons Zero – CC0An Indian-origin family of four was found dead at their house in Iowa on Saturday, June 15. The deceased were identified as Chandrasekhar Sunkara, 44, Lavanya, 41 and two young boys, aged 15, and 10 years.Sunkara was said to have been an employee of Iowa department of public safety’s technology services bureau and locals told the police that he was depressed and could have possibly killed his family members and committed suicide, Hindustan Times reports.Sunkara was originally from Tsunduru in Andhra Pradesh’s Guntur district and had moved to the United States for higher studies and had settled down there. The four victims were discovered by a guest living at their house. “When the victims were discovered, one of the survivors ran outside looking for help. He found a person who had then called the police to inform about the suspicious deaths,” police was quoted as saying in the report.There were two other adults and two children in the house when the incident took place.The police registered a case and have launched an investigation. The police said that the four of them have died due to gunshot wounds and only the post-mortem will reveal if there is anything amiss in the deaths and will also reveal the exact cause of death.”We are continuing to work through this investigation. We will follow through until we have answered as many questions as the evidence allows. We are confident, though, that there is no continuing threat to the community,” the police said.The Telugu community in the US are in touch with the Indian Embassy to help the bereaved family in India making arrangements.last_img read more

Read more
September 5, 2019

Was Kusal Pereras innings better than Ben Stokes epic knock

first_imgWho did it better, Perera or Stokes?Twitter/ICCThe cricket world is in a state of frenzy after witnessing the miracle in the third Ashes Test at Headingley. Many fans and experts are deeming Ben Stokes’ knock as the greatest ever in Test cricket history. No less a person than Sir Geoffrey Boycott has said that Stokes’ knock was the finest ever he has witnessed in his many decades of watching cricket.But some people have expressed a differing opinion. They have argued that Kusal Perera, the Sri Lankan batsman, played an even better innings earlier this year. This innings came in the first match of a two-Test series played in February. Sri Lanka were chasing a target of 304 and were in a lot of trouble at 226/9.But thanks to Kusal Perera’s 153 not out, they won the match by one wicket. So, who played the better innings: Perera or Stokes? Let’s try and find out the answer by looking at the facts.Length of the inningsStokes made 135 runs from 219 balls while Perera scored 153 from 200 balls. So, while Perera had more runs, Stokes had to battle it out for a longer time. Jack Leach faced just 17 balls and scored merely one run in the 76-run partnershipTwitter/ICCSupport from no. 11The partnership between Stokes and the last batsman Jack Leach was worth 76 runs when they needed 73 to win. On the other hand, Perera added 78 runs, the amount required, with his no. 11 colleague Vishwa Fernando. Leach faced 17 deliveries and scored 1 run while Fernando dealt with 27 balls and scored 6 runs. The partnership between the Sri Lankan pair lasted for 95 deliveries while the English last wicket duo had to be out there on the pitch for 62 balls.Quality of opposition bowling attackThe South African bowling attack that Perera negated had Dale Steyn, Kagiso Rabada, Vernon Philander, Duanne Olivier and Keshav Maharaj. Stokes’ opponents were Josh Hazlewood, Pat Cummins, James Pattinson and Nathan Lyon. The South African pace attack looks the better one, hands down. It had the best fast bowler of the century in Dale Steyn, the man who could take that title in the future – Kagiso Rabada, and three other highly capable men.But it must be remembered that Steyn was a shadow of his former self. Compared to them, the Australian bowlers had just bowled out their opponents for 67 in the same Test. So, it is hard to say which attack was more difficult to deal with but one may just tilt towards Australia’s. Perera and Fernando had 95 balls in their partnershipTwitter/ICCPitches in the two gamesWhen it comes to pitches, some people may look at the scorecard and deem the wicket in Headingley as very tough for batting. However, on the third and fourth day, the conditions had become very batsmen-friendly and there was no assistance to the bowlers. Even Nathan Lyon was struggling to be sharp due to no footholes outside the right-hander’s off-stump. So, even with the conditions, it’s hard to say who faced the tougher odds.The occasionThis is where Stokes has a clear advantage. The Ashes is the biggest series for the two teams involved whereas Sri Lanka vs South Africa has never been a big contest. The English all-rounder was batting in front of a raucous full-house and with the revered urn on the line. If England had lost this match, Australia would have retained the Ashes. There was no such pressure on Perera. On this parameter alone, one can give the advantage to Ben. Stokes was playing on a much bigger stage than PereraTwitter/ICCConclusionIt is very hard to decide on the basis of the facts, who played the better innings. However, the atmosphere at the two venues was completely different. For some unexplainable reason, the innings by Stokes seemed much more powerful and dazzling than that by Perera. Is it just an optical illusion? One can make that point but playing on a bigger stage also means there is greater pressure. Stokes handled that pressure brilliantly. Still, the Sri Lankan left-hander also would have had pressure on him.So, in conclusion, it’s up to you to decide which innings you consider as the better one.last_img read more

Read more
September 3, 2019 Sri Lanka attacks What we know so far

Sri Lanka attacks What we know so far

first_imgA security officer stands in front of St Anthony`s shrine in Colombo, after bomb blasts ripped through churches and luxury hotels on Easter, in Sri Lanka on 22 April 2019. Photo: ReutersSri Lanka was rocked Sunday by a series of deadly blasts that has reportedly killed 290 people and injured 500 more.Here is what we know so far about one of the deadliest attacks in the island nation’s history:What happened?Powerful explosions struck in quick succession at three hotels in the capital Colombo. The Cinnamon Grand was hit at around 8:30 am (0300 GMT), and the high-end Shangri-La soon after at 9:05am.Three churches were also targeted in that wave of blasts: Colombo’s historic St Anthony’s Shrine, the St Sebastian’s church in the town of Negombo — north of the capital — and the Zion Church in the east-coast town of Batticaloa.Hours later, there were two more blasts — one of them at another Colombo hotel. At least two of the eight were carried out by suicide bombers, according to police sources and a hotel official.Who were the victims?The blasts hit the churches when they were full of worshippers gathered for Easter services. An AFP photographer saw bodies and debris lying on the floor at St Anthony’s.By Sunday evening, the toll stood at 207 dead and 450 people injured.Police said 35 foreigners were among the dead, including British, Dutch, Portuguese, Chinese and American citizens, with the US and Britain later confirming their nationals were killed.Hospital sources also said British, Dutch and American citizens were among those killed, with Britons and Japanese also injured.India’s Foreign Minister Sushma Swaraj added three Indians were killed.A Portuguese man also died, according to the Iberian nation’s LUSA news agency. Two Chinese nationals were injured, the country’s embassy in Sri Lanka said, according to Beijing’s official Xinhua news agency.Who did it?There was no immediate claim of responsibility, and prime minister Ranil Wickremesinghe declined to identify any suspected perpetrators.At least eight people have been arrested in connection with the attacks, police said, and investigators would look into whether the attackers had “overseas links”.The island nation has suffered deadly militant attacks for years, especially by ethnic Tamil militants during a decades-long civil war that ended in 2009 when Sri Lankan forces crushed the insurgency.In recent years, there have been clashes between the majority Sinhalese Buddhist community and minority Muslims, and in March last year the government imposed a 12-day state of emergency to quell anti-Muslim riots.Christian groups have also complained of increased harassment from hardline Buddhist groups.And, according to documents seen by AFP, the country’s police chief warned top officers 10 days ago of possible suicide bomb attacks on churches and the Indian high commission by the National Thowheeth Jama’ath (NTJ), a radical Muslim group in Sri Lanka. He cited reports by a “foreign intelligence agency”, according to the documents.How did Sri Lanka react? Wickremesinghe urged people to “hold our unity as Sri Lankans” and pledged to “wipe out this menace once and for all.”The Archbishop of Colombo, Malcolm Ranjith, described the attackers as “animals” and called on authorities to “punish them mercilessly”.The government beefed up security and imposed an immediate and indefinite curfew across the country. It also put in place a “temporary” ban on social media platforms “in order to prevent incorrect and wrong information being spread”.Security at Colombo’s airport was also enhanced, according to Sri Lankan Airlines, which advised its passengers to arrive four hours before their flights. It added that passengers with passports and tickets will be able to reach the airport during the curfew.Embassies in Sri Lanka have warned their citizens to shelter in place.last_img
Read more
September 2, 2019 WATCH LIVE Mayor Turner Discusses Next Step For HighSpeed Train Project Connecting

WATCH LIVE Mayor Turner Discusses Next Step For HighSpeed Train Project Connecting

first_img Share Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner and officials with Texas Central, the company behind the project to build a high-speed train connecting Houston and Dallas, unveil the next step for this enterprise.last_img

Read more
August 31, 2019 Dead murder accused case HC asks Delhi Police to probe

Dead murder accused case HC asks Delhi Police to probe

first_imgThe Delhi High Court has directed city police to probe whether some of its officers suppressed facts in a case pertaining to identification of a body as that of a murder accused who had jumped bail.The accused had allegedly connived with his family members to show the unidentified body as his own to get him declared dead by Uttar Pradesh Police.A special bench of justices Kailash Gambhir and Sunita Gupta directed the DCP concerned, under whose jurisdiction the Seelampur police station falls, to “carefully go through report of UP police” and file a status report by next date of hearing.It issued the direction after noting that UP Police in its report has said that some officers of Anti Auto Theft Squad of Seelampur police station were “guilty of suppressing the facts in the matter”.“Conduct of all these officers is not above suspicion. It was a very serious issue where a decomposed body of some person came to be identified as that of the appellant.“As per the UP police report the officials here are trying to come in the way of justice. It will not be allowed in this case,” the court said, while issuing the directions to Delhi Police. The bench also made it clear that “the necessary facts shall be fully inquired into and no casual approach will be entertained” and directed that the status report be filed in four weeks.The court was hearing the appeal of Rajbir against his conviction by a trial court here in a murder case. During pendency of his appeal in court, he had obtained bail and then went missing.Despite repeated summons, when the court had failed to get his presence in the appeal case, it had decided to direct the police in Ghaziabad to trace him since he belonged to that district.Later information, through UP Police, was received by the court that the accused is dead. UP Police had said family of the accused had identified the clothes found on the body as those worn by Rajbir. The body was handed over to them and they cremated it and got a death certificate in his name.last_img read more

Read more
August 31, 2019 Starvation death reports in Jhargram untrue says Mamata

Starvation death reports in Jhargram untrue says Mamata

first_imgJhargram: Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Monday said that reports about the starvation deaths in Jhargram district were absolutely untrue and that there were elaborate arrangements to provide food to the locals of the area.Addressing the administrative meeting held, she said: “There have been no starvation deaths in the district as the state government has been running several welfare schemes in the region which was once a Maoist bastion.” She said the state government is giving a kilogram of rice for Rs 2 to ensure that every person gets food. “Every person gets 8 kg rice and 3 kg wheat per month. However, I have come to know that people who don’t require the grains sell part of their quota in the open market,” she added. Also Read – Rain batters Kolkata, cripples normal lifeShe also directed the district administration to include the Sabars in the schemes under 100 days’ work. Sabar community is an ethnic tribe, mainly residing in Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh and Bengal. Banerjee also expressed concern over the elephant-man conflict. Elephants are entering the district from nearby areas of Jharkhand and destroying crops. This has been happening for quite some time. The elephants use a pathway near Lalgarh forest. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Mercedes car in Kolkata, 2 pedestrians killedBanerjee has been asking the district administration for quite some time to take steps to stop the conflict. Many youths have been recruited to assist the Forest department as well. The Chief Minister asked the district administration to take up projects so that the beneficiaries become self-reliant. Self-Help Groups have been set up all over the state and they can be used for floriculture, cashew cultivation and fish cultivation. She said plates made out of saal leaves have tremendous potential and they can be kept even at the Biswa Bangla stores. “The Self-Help Groups are doing excellent work in many areas and if proper training can be given, they can do a miracle,” she said. It may be mentioned that in Nadia, some women belonging to those groups have become self-reliant by doing fish cultivation. The state Panchayat department has helped them to dig tanks where they are doing fish cultivation and selling their produce in the market. Banerjee urged the Panchayat members to work for the people. “Go to the people and listen to their grievances. Give them a patient hearing and then take up schemes to resolve the problems. We know all the problems cannot be solved but one should deal with them sympathetically.” It may be mentioned that in every party meeting, Banerjee is urging her party workers to go to the masses and work for them. “You cannot do politics from home. You will have to go to the people and talk to them,” was her advice to her party colleagues.last_img read more

Read more
August 31, 2019 Woman tortured for dowry in Beniapukur

Woman tortured for dowry in Beniapukur

first_imgKolkata: A woman was allegedly tortured and sexually harassed by her in-laws for dowry in Beniapukur.On Wednesday, she lodged a complaint at the Beniapukur police station against her husband and father-in-law. Till Thursday, no one was arrested. According to sources, the woman got married in December 2000. At the time of her marriage, a lot of valuables were given to her in-laws as dowry. It is alleged that after a few years of marriage she her husband and in-laws started torturing her to bring more dowry. The victim woman said since her family was not able to fulfill the demands made by her in-laws she was subjected to torture. She alleged her husband and her father-in-law had been torturing her for a few years. She said she was forced by her husband to see a pornographic video. Despite she refused to watch it, her husband had forced her to do so. Also Read – Rs 13,000 crore investment to provide 2 lakh jobs: MamataHowever, a few months ago, her husband started behaving properly with her. She thought he changed due to some reason. But the situation turned ugly after she came to know that when she was in a compromising position with her husband, her father-in-law filmed her. She was shown the video and told to bring dowry. Having no other way, she went to her father’s house, which is also in Beniapukur. On Wednesday, she lodged a complaint against her husband and father-in-law. On the basis of her complaint, a FIR has been initiated under sections 498A (husband or relative of husband of a woman subjecting her to cruelty), 354A (sexual harassment and punishment for sexual harassment), 354C (voyeurism) and 34 (acts done by several persons in furtherance of common intention) of the IPC.last_img read more

Read more